Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Goodbye, Quizilla

The end of an era


Today I learned of a heartbreaking fact: Quizilla is shutting down for good. I'm actually quite sad about this. Writing my silly little fanfictions and taking quizzes was my life for a good part of 2007, and although I now look back and cringe, I still have a lot of fondness for the site and how it introduced me to the world of fanfiction and fandom communities.

After learning of this, I logged into my old account and salvaged my stories. I copied and pasted them into word documents so I could save them, because again, I have a lot of fondness for them, and rereading them gives me a good nostalgic laugh. A quick tumblr search revealed I am not alone in feeling this way, as dozens of posts lament the end of Quizilla, a site, which gave many of users (me included) their writing start. It's just funny, how a site that hosted so many of our old shames and cringe-worthy writings can still stir up these feelings. 

I actually wonder what demographic was using Quizilla recently. I would say that 2006-2009 was the peak of Quizilla's popularity, and the majority of the users then seemed to be in middle school, and are now in the end of high school/college. However, back in 2007 when I was using Quizilla, there wasn't much in the way of other sites for fandoms to gather. Today we have Youtube, tumblr, deviantART, all of which are infinitely more popular than Quizlla when it comes to fandom communities. So who was using Quizilla for these last five years? Still middle schoolers?

Anyways, Quizilla, you were my first step into the crazy world of fandoms. Even if my writing was the worst, most terrible drivel to come out of my brain, I still have a crazy sense of love for you. I'll always remember the hours spent updating my Naruto OC fanfiction and taking Seven Minutes in Heaven quizzes (girls only, of course). 

It's been real, Quizilla. Godspeed.

If you want to read my post about revisiting Quizilla for the first time in years, check out this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment